Federal Investor Program
Note: Program Closed - On February 11, 2014, Economic Action Plan 2014 announced the government’s intent to terminate both the federal Immigrant Investor and Federal Entrepreneur Programs.
The Immigrant Investor Program seeks to attract experienced business people to invest C$800,000 into Canada's economy. Investors must: have
- at least two years of business experience in the past five years, defined as management and ownership of a qualifying business, or Management of 5 employees in a business;
- have a minimum net worth of C$1,600,000 that was obtained legally;
- make a C$800,000 investment (Financing is available);
Additionally, you must obtain at least 35 points according to the five selection factors in the investor points grid. The five selection factors are:
|Education||Maximum 25 points|
|Business Experience||Maximum 35 points|
|Age||Maximum 10 points|
|Ability in English and/or French||Maximum 24 points|
|Adaptability||Maximum 6 points|
|Total||Maximum 100 points|
|Pass mark||35 points|
In addition to meeting the above criteria, successful applicants must show that they have sufficient settlement funds to support themselves and their dependants after arrival in Canada. Applicants and their dependants must also undergo medical examinations and security clearances as part of the Canadian immigration application process.
When making your investment under this program, you can choose one of two options:
- Investment of C$800,000 of your own funds: You may choose to make an investment of C$800,000 of your own funds with the Government of Canada. These funds will be returned to you in full without interest, about five years and two months after payment; OR
- Payment of a financing fee of C$180,000: You may choose to pay a one-time financing fee of C$180,000 to a government-approved financial institution. This fee will not be returned to you. The financial institution will then make an investment with the government on your behalf, using their funds.
Applicants intending to reside in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec are subject to the Quebec selection criteria.